Undergraduate Sources


Students pursuing an undergraduate degree are encouraged to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at fafsa.gov and view their eligibility for state aid on njfams.hesaa.org to be considered for all types of Federal, State and Institutional financial aid. Browse the tabs below to view the different types of financial aid for which undergraduate students may be eligible.

The Stockton Promise

Stockton Promise

Stockton University is committed to helping students achieve their academic goals while reducing their need for student loans.

The Stockton Promise grant covers 100% of the gap between federal, state and institutional financial aid and the cost of tuition and fees for qualifying students.

Learn more about the Stockton Promise grant at stockton.edu/promise.

Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, is free money from the Federal Government and does not have to be repaid. Eligibility is determined based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Students apply when filing a FAFSA. For more information, visit studentaid.gov.
New Jersey residents who are or intend to be full time undergraduates at an approved New Jersey college, university or post secondary institution may be eligible for the New Jersey State Tuition Aid Grant (TAG). Applicants must demonstrate need for college student aid and must have been legal residents of New Jersey for at least 12 consecutive months before receiving the grant. Students who have received a baccalaureate degree or are enrolled solely in graduate study or graduate level courses are not eligible. Students apply by filing a FAFSA. View eligibility on njfams.hesaa.orgFor more information, visit njgrants.org or contact the State of New Jersey at 800.792.8670.
The Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is limited funding provided by the federal government for students with the most demonstrated need, those with a "0" EFC.

To be considered, students should file their FAFSA as early as possible.

Stockton Grant in Aid (SGIA) is an institutional need-based grant program for high achieving students who demonstrated need after filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students offered SGIA must complete a FAFSA and maintain full time enrollment to be eligible. The grant is a 2-year consecutive offer beginning the recipient's first semester at Stockton and lasting 4 semesters (excluding summer) if eligibility requirements are maintained.

Resident Grant in Aid (RGIA) is an institutional need-based grant program for high achieving students residing on campus, who demonstrated need after filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students offered RGIA must complete a FAFSA, maintain full time enrollment and on campus housing to be eligible. The grant is a 2-year consecutive offer beginning the recipient's first semester at Stockton and lasting 4 semesters (excluding summer) if all eligibility requirements are maintained.

Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Program:

Students may be eligible for Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans by completing the FAFSA. A student may be eligible if they are enrolled in a degree seeking program and at least 6 credits per semester (half-time) at Stockton University. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education.

To have these loans applied to a student's account, the student needs to accept them and complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note on studentaid.gov. Visit stockton.edu/fafsa for instructional videos guiding you through the process.

A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government pays interest for the loan ("subsidizes" the loan) until you graduate or stop attending half-time and during authorized periods of deferment.

An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. You'll be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. 

You will begin repayment on the principle 6 months after you stop attending half time or graduate. When added to other financial aid resources, the loans amount may not exceed the cost of attendance at the time it is disbursed to the school.

If dependent, your subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loan annual eligibility is as follows:  

0-31 Earned Credits
32-63 Earned Credits
64 and Above Earned Credits


If independent, your subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loan annual eligibility is as follows: 

0-31 Earned Credits
32-63 Earned Credits
64 and Above Earned Credits


Learn more about Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans for undergraduate students at studentaid.gov.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans for Parent Borrowers:

Parents of dependent undergraduate students are eligible to borrow under the Direct PLUS Loan program for parent borrowers up to the cost of their child's attendance minus other financial assistance. Students whose parents apply for these loans are required to complete the FAFSA. Students whose parents are denied for the Parent PLUS Loan may be eligible for an additional unsubsidized loan for the academic year. Learn more and apply at studentaid.gov.

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student's course of study.

Eligible students will be notified if they have been awarded FWS when they receive their offer notification.

Applicants must be a student from a background of historical poverty, who demonstrates financial need. They must be New Jersey residents for 12 consecutive months prior to applying and must also be enrolled full time and matriculated at a participating New Jersey college or university. EOF is only available to first-time freshman students. To apply, students must file a FAFSA, answer the additional questions on NJFAMS and contact Heather Medina in Admissions at 609.652.4261.

The NJ STARS II Program is a continuation of the NJ STARS I Program that enables successful NJ STARS I students to earn a bachelor’s degree at a four-year public institution within the State of New Jersey.

To qualify for participation in the NJ STARS II Program, students must:

  • Have been an NJ STARS I recipient
  • Graduated from a New Jersey County College with an Associate's degree and have maintained the required cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 or higher
  • Be enrolled full-time at a NJ four-year public institution
  • Have applied for all forms of State and Federal need-based grants and scholarships within established deadlines
    • Students can apply for these grants by filing the FAFSA and answering the additional questions for the State on njfams.hesaa.org.

To have the NJ STARS II scholarship applied to your account, you must:

  • Provide a copy of your Official County College transcript to the Office of Financial Aid at Stockton University that indicates that you have earned your Associate's degree with a GPA of 3.25 or higher

To maintain your NJ STARS II eligibility at Stockton University you must:

  • Earn at least a 3.25 GPA after two consecutive semesters of enrollment in the program

NJ STARS II will be applied for up to four semesters of continuous enrollment (excluding summer). 

*Per State regulations, if you qualify for other federal and state grant programs and the total of these awards exceeds the cost of your tuition, your NJ STARS II award cannot be used towards the rest of your bill. However, if you qualify, you will have continued eligibility for NJ STARS II in future semesters. 

Visit njgrants.org to learn more about the program.

Administered through the State of New Jersey, the NJ Governor's Urban Scholarship is a merit award available to students who rank in the top 5.0 percent of their high school class, attain a grade point average of at least 3.0 at the end of the junior year in high school, file a FAFSA and have a New Jersey Eligibility Index below 10500. For more information, visit njgrants.org or contact the State of New Jersey at 800.792.8670.

The New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application allows NJ Dreamers enrolled in eligible New Jersey colleges and universities to apply for state financial aid.

Students should apply if they are not United States citizens or eligible noncitizens and meet all of the following criteria:

  • Attended a New Jersey high school for at least three (3) years
  • Graduated from a New Jersey high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in New Jersey
  • Registered for Selective Service (male students only)
  • Are able to file an affidavit stating that you have filed an application to legalize your immigration status or will file an application as soon as you are eligible to do so

Complete the application at njgrants.org.

Beginning with the Spring 2021 semester, prospective first year students are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores as part of the scholarship review process. We will be utilizing both academic and extracurricular achievement to determine scholarship eligibility. 

Accepted transfer students are considered for scholarships based on previous college performance. 

All scholarship recipients must file a FAFSA in order to receive their merit award. The total sum of scholarships cannot exceed the cost of attendance and as a result, institutional awards may be reduced if other grant/scholarship money is present.

For additional information about First Year Student and Transfer Scholarships, visit stockton.edu/scholarships or contact the Office of Admissions at 609.652.4261.

The Stockton University Foundation maintains a robust merit-based scholarship program with approximately 200 scholarships. Scholarships are available for upperclassmen students and are based on academic achievement. Visit the Foundation Scholarship webpage to view additional eligibility criteria and learn how to apply.

Are you a veteran or currently in the Reserves or the Guard? You may be eligible for Post 9/11 or Chapter 1606 educational benefits. Learn about Military & Veteran Education Benefits and how to utilize them here. Visit the Office of Military & Veteran Services to learn more.

Use the resources below to explore external scholarship opportunities.

Stockton University Scholarship Resource Center

Use the resource below to explore external loan options.

Private/Alternative Loans