Graduate Sources

Graduates Featured

While the Federal and State Governments do not offer grants at the graduate level, graduate students are encouraged to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to be considered for other types of financial aid offered at the graduate level.

We have developed a presentation discussing financial aid opportunities for Graduate Students. View "Financing your Graduate Education at Stockton" or browse the tabs below to view the different types of financial aid for which graduate students may be eligible.

Students may be eligible for an unsubsidized loan by completing the FAFSA. A student may be eligible if they are enrolled in a degree seeking program and at least 5 credits per semester at Stockton University. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education.

To have these loans applied to a student's account, the student needs to accept them and complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note on Visit for instructional videos guiding you through the process.

This unsubsidized loan is not based on financial need. You'll be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.

You will begin repayment on the principle 6 months after you stop attending half time or graduate. When added to other financial aid resources, the loan amount may not exceed the cost of attendance at the time it is disbursed to the school. 

Students may borrow up to $20,500 each academic year of a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.

Learn more about Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans for graduate students at

Graduate students are eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan programup to their cost of attendance minus other financial assistance. Students can apply by logging into gov with their FSA ID and Password and completing the application. Applicants for these loans are required to complete the FAFSA. Learn more and apply at

Eligibility is based on credit. An endorser may be required for some loans to be approved.

Learn more and apply at

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is a need-based, federally funded work program administered by the Office of Financial Aid. Students apply by filing a FAFSA.

Eligibility is based on demonstrated need. To be considered, students should file their FAFSA as early as possible. Award amounts are set based on the appropriation from the U.S. Department of Education.

The program allows students to work part-time on or off campus to help offset their educational expenses. The funds will not be directly credited to your account, instead you will be paid biweekly. If you are offered FWS, it will be included in your financial aid offer. You will need to accept the offer and find employment.

To learn more about the Federal Work Study Program, visit

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants for students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. If any student fails to complete the four-year teaching obligation, the grant will be converted to an unsubsidized loan and must be repaid with interest.

Applicants must be accepted into the Master of Arts in Education (MAED) program and complete a FAFSA. Each year the applicant must complete TEACH Grant Counseling and a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.

When the student graduates, changes to a program that is not TEACH Grant-eligible, or leaves the institution, EXIT Counseling also is required.

Visit or contact the Office of Financial Aid at Stockton University for more information.

The New Jersey Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) provides financial assistance and support for a small graduate program. The objective of the graduate EOF program is to increase participation in graduate and professional study of New Jersey residents from backgrounds of historical poverty. Students who received EOF grants as undergraduates shall be given priority consideration for EOF graduate grants.

Interested students can find more information at Contact the EOF Office at Stockton University at 609.652.4647 if you believe you may have eligibility.

Are you a veteran or currently in the Reserves or the Guard? You may be eligible for Post 9/11, Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 educational benefits.

Veterans with a 10% or more service connected disability, may be eligible for the VA Readiness & Employment Program.

Children and spouses of veterans who are 100% disabled or deceased as a result of being in the military service may also be eligible for educational assistance. 

Veterans benefits may be available to graduate students if the student is a veteran or currently in the Reserves or National Guard.

Learn about Military & Veteran Education Benefits and how to utilize them here. Visit the Office of Military & Veteran Services to learn more.

Graduate assistantships are an important form of financial support for degree-seeking graduate students and are offered by each of the graduate programs. Assistantships are granted in the form of tuition waiver and can vary from a one credit waiver to (nine) credits or the maximum tuition charge per semester, whichever is applicable.

Awards are made on a semester basis during the academic year (August-May). Nominations are made by the faculty and program chair of each graduate program and are the forwarded to the Director of the Office of Graduate Admissions for final approval. Students who are approved for an assistantship will receive an offer-of-appointment letter from the Office of Graduate Admissions.

To apply, students must:

  • Submit a Graduate Assistantship Application Form and letter of interest no later than October 31 for Spring semesters and March 31 for Fall semesters. Application forms can be obtained online or from the program chair. Please refer to individual program guidelines regarding specific requirements, as these may vary for each program, including any additional forms or applications required by the program chair.

New students may submit their completed application to the Office of Graduate Admissions (N Wing 007).

Returning graduate assistants may submit their application directly to their program director.

Learn more about graduate assistantships here.

New, incoming graduate students are now eligible for scholarships for the fall and spring semesters. This is a one-semester award that will apply to your first semester. If you wish to continue with scholarships past your first semester, you will be able to apply for a Foundation Scholarship. This scholarship will be in the amount of $2,500 and applied to your bill after you register for courses.

Learn more and apply here.

The Stockton University Foundation maintains a robust merit-based scholarship program with approximately 200 scholarships. Scholarships are available for upperclassmen students and are based on academic achievement. Students apply by:

  • Completing the online application(s) (login with university-issued username/password) available at
  • Submit a 250 to 500-word essay (based on application prompt); view rubric
  • Provide one letter of recommendation from a Stockton professor or dean

Applicants must meet these requirements to qualify: 

Undergraduate Students:

  • Have already completed one semester at Stockton University
  • Have a Stockton GPA, many scholarships require a 3.0 GPA
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Enroll full-time (12 credits or more)
  • Part-time students eligible for select scholarships only
  • Registered at Stockton for spring of the application term and return for the following academic year

Graduate Students:

  • Have already completed one semester at Stockton University
  • Earn/maintain 3.0 GPA (at Stockton)
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Enrolled part-time (3 credits or more)
  • Registered at Stockton for spring of the application term and return for the following academic year


Award amounts are determined by donors and set each year by the Foundation Board as funds are available.

Note on Ineligibility:

  • First-semester students (freshmen or transfer) without a Stockton GPA are not considered for Foundation Scholarships.
  • Seniors graduating spring or summer term are ineligible to apply unless immediately matriculating into a Stockton University graduate program for the following academic year.
  • Foundation Scholarships are awarded to Stockton students only and are not transferable to outside colleges/universities.

Visit the Foundation Scholarship webpage to more.

Students are able to apply to external organizations for scholarship opportunities. Depending on the specific organization, the funds can either go to the student or to the University. Checks for all scholarships can be made out to Stockton University.

The Office of Financial Aid at Stockton University provides students with a Scholarship Resource Center where some scholarships are posted and they can use the information on the page to search for additional scholarships. The Scholarship Resource Center can be accessed here.

Please Note: Stockton University does not offer, endorse, recommend or guarantee any product or service available on any outside entity’s website.

Private student loans are non-federal government loans offered by private lending institutions as an additional source of funds for higher education. Students can apply for Private Loans to help fund their education. The Office of Financial Aid does not recommend any one lender. View a historic list of lenders used by Stockton University students within the past three years here.

Please Note: You are free to choose any lender, including those not presented. If you choose a lender that is not presented, please contact the Office of Financial Aid. Application processing will not be delayed unnecessarily if you choose a lender not presented.

Click here to view the institutional loan code of conduct or contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions.

Enrollment Key:

Eligibility for financial aid is dependent upon several factors, including enrollment. See below for an enrollment guide detailing the number of credits in which a student must be confirmed attending to be considered full-time, 3/4 time and half-time.


Full-Time (Fall/Spring) Full-Time (Summer) 3/4 Time (Fall/Spring) 3/4 Time (Summer) Half-Time (Fall/Spring) Half-Time (Summer)
 10+ Credits  5+ Credits  7-9 Credits 4 Credits 5-6 Credits 3 Credits