Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans Education Benefits

Are you a veteran or currently in the Reserves or the Guard? You may be eligible for Post 9/11 or Chapter 1606 educational benefits. Veterans with a 10% or more service connected disability, may be eligible for the VA Rehabilitation Program. Children and spouses of veterans who are 100% disabled or deceased as a result of being in the military service may also be eligible for educational assistance. See below for information on specific benefits.

If you are eligible for the NJ Guard Tuition Waiver you must file a financial aid application ( each academic year.  If you are eligible for federal or state grants, the amount of those grant monies must be deducted from the cost of tuition and the waiver will cover any difference.  Remember, only tuition is covered by the waiver and you are responsible for your fees and any housing and/or meal costs.

Contact the Veterans Educational Benefits Coordinator at 652-4984 (8:00-4:00).

Veterans benefits may be available to graduate students if the student is a veteran or currently in the Reserves or National Guard. Children and spouses of veterans who are 100% disabled or deceased as a result of serving in the military may also be eligible for educational assistance as well. Contact the Veterans Educational Benefits Coordinator at Stockton at (609) 652-4984 (8:00-4:00) to initiate your application for Veteran's Benefits.

To apply for Veteran Educational Benefits visit this web site.

Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), is available to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as the National Guard.

To be eligible for the MGIB-SR you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve or Guard signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation.
  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).
  • Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT.
  • Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve or Guard.
  • Complete the Application for Education Benefits on the VA's VETS.GOV website.
  • Within four to eight weeks you should receive a declaration of eligibility (COE) and a letter explaining your VA GI Bill benefits. A copy of the COE must be given to the Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office.

For additional information about GI Bill ® benefits visit this web site.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill ® is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001,or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Veterans may also transfer their benefits under Post-9/11 to their spouse or dependent. Please visit these websites for additional information.  Department of Veterans Affairs-Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill ® benefits to Dependents (TEB).  

This program will pay eligible Individuals:

  • Tuition & fees directly to the school.
  • A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school, and annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  • A one-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals payable only for training at an Institutionof Higher Learning (IHL). If you are in the military, you will not receive the housing allowance or books & supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.
  • Determine your Post 9/11-GI Bill ® entitlement percentage - This is based on the number of months you have served on active duty since Sept. 11, 2001.
    Determine the maximum amount the VA will pay based on the in-state tuition rate for your school's state.
  • Ask your school about their per credit hour tuition and per term fees.
  • Multiply the maximum in-state tuition & fees by your Post-9/11 entitlement percentage and compare this to your school's tuition and fees. If your entitlement is equal to or more than the schools tuition and fees then you are covered - there is no refund of the difference.

For more detailed information on the Post 9/11/GI Bill ® please visit this web site.

The following steps will help you find your Post-9/11 GI Bill ® Tuition and Fee Payment Rates based on your school's home state. Visit this web site for more detailed information.

For additional information about GI Bill ® benefits visit this web site

You can access your remaining entitlements by going to the VAeBenefits page and working through these steps:

  • Login to your existing account or register for an account (be sure to write down your username and password)
  • When a security warning pops up while navigating through the site, follow these steps:

1.  Choose "I understand the risk"
2.  Choose "Add Exception"
3.  Confirm security exemption

  • At the "Create your DS logon today" section, answer the questions, then begin "Basic Registration Lev. 1"
  • Once your registration has been completed, upgrade your account and go through Remote Proofing
  • When proofing has been completed, go to eBenefits and click Manage Benefits, then Education
  • At that point, Chapter 33 Post 9/11 recipients should be able to view and print your Post 9/11 GI Bill ® Enrollment Info, which will serve as your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • Should you have trouble completing  steps 5-6, try logging out and logging back in.  

Need to find a military friendly school? has hundreds of schools that offer college credit for service and may offer tuition discounts and grants to service members. Search schools now.

To find information on Educational Expenses including Tuition, Fees, Room and Board, please visit The Bursar Office web site. 

Required Documents

If you are receiving education benefits, certain documentation must be submitted. The documents vary, depending upon what chapter benefits you receive. View our Veterans Education Benefits Checklist to learn what documentation you may need to submit to our office to utilize your benefits. Remember to file your FAFSA to see if you are eligible for any other types of financial aid in addition to your benefits.

Learn more

Visit the Office of Military & Veteran Services to learn more about Military and Veteran Services at Stockton.