Pathways to High Impact Practices
This model is designed to create pathways to high impact practices (HIPS) for unrepresented minority students in order to advance equitable access to HIPS linked to positive academic outcomes. This pathway is marked by education, engagement, and achievement.
This model is supported by research indicating that involved in HIPS is associated with academic achievement. Please see examples of supporting evidence under the "educate" tab.
The first component of the model will include workshops and programs with the goal of educating students about HIPS, their value, and how they can be accessed.
The second component of the model centers on providing opportunities for engagement in HIPs. Please click on one of the HIPs below to learn more about engagement opportunities related to each.
HIPs Spring '21 Spotlight
- Affiliated with the New Jersey Campus Compact
- Work closely with the Bonner and Community Engagement team
- Work with community partners that are related to your career field
- Can apply now
- Career & Internship Fairs, StocktonWorks, networking with professors and program coordinators as well as professional staff, family, friends, and other contacts are all great ways to look for an internship.
- You can apply as early as your freshman year of college for an internship.
- Students should begin the internship matching process well in advance, typically one semester prior to when you intend to do an internship, in order to secure an opportunity.
- Important Links:
- Affiliated with the Bonner Foundation
- Paid position where you dedicate 8-10 hours a week to service
- Work closely with Community Partners that are related to your interests
- Start your own service projects/ events
- Great for Networking
- Applications open in the Fall
- Global Learning is the essential outcome that all students should acquire in their academic experience at colleges and universities.
- Global Learning is the knowledge, skills, and attributes about the external world as well as internal selves in daily lives across local and global communities.
- There are numerous Education Abroad sessions each semester. Check the Global Engagement website for more information.
- Important Links:
The final component of the model is an opportunity for the Office of Academic Achievement Programs to showcase the achievements of students who engaged in HIPS. Students will demonstrate how their selected HIP has positively impacted their academic achievement and post graduate goals. The purpose of highlighting these achievements is to encourage increased involved in HIPS among other underrepresented minority students, and ultimately, develop a culture of engagement in HIPS accompanied by high academic achievement and post graduate success among students of color.