Frequently Asked Questions

The process begins by attending an Information Session at Open House events, stopping by J-201, calling 609-652-4688, or by sending an email to to schedule an appointment for more information. Every Stockton student is unique: we will evaluate your transcript and recommend the best path to certification for you. (Eligibility for the program)

The Teacher Education program currently requires a 3.0 GPA for entry and completion of the program. 

  1. Eligibility: If you are between a 2.75 and 2.99 GPA AND have the passing Praxis II scores for your content area, you may submit a GPA waiver request to be admitted into the Professional Education sequence of courses starting with Clinical Experience.
  2. Complete the GPA calculator/waiver request form, using your CAPP/Degree Works audit and unofficial transcript. Save this form so that you can attach it in the next step.
  3. Send an email message to Dr. and CC: with subject line: 'GPA Waiver Request, First Name and Last Name, Z number'.  Attach a copy of the completed GPA calculator spreadsheet. In the body of this email say what semester of the program you are in and whether you are applying for a GPA waiver for the first time or renewing your GPA waiver request. In addition, please note the number of credits you need to earn an 'A' to raise your GPA to a 3.0.
  4. Note- Once you are formally approved for a GPA Waiver you must monitor your GPA each term. You must request A GPA waiver every semester until you reach a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Any student found enrolled with a GPA between 2.75 and 3.0 who failed to submit a waiver request will be dropped from program courses until the form is completed.  In addition, it is the student’s responsibility to take any additional coursework beyond what is required to raise his/her GPA to the minimum 3.0 necessary to be recommended for a CEAS.

    *If you have any questions about the process, please contact the School of Education in J-201 at 609-652-4688 or

Typically it takes a minimum of four semesters beyond the sophomore year to complete all program requirements for the Teacher Education Program. The time can be shortened through summer session course work. 

No. Stockton’s Teacher Education Program is an undergraduate or post-baccalaureate certification program. All required courses are undergraduate credit courses—students are not charged for graduate level classes. Some students opt to earn a second Bachelor's degree in Teacher Education by attaining 32 credits beyond the first degree, but the second degree is not required for certification. Many Stockton programs are designed with Education concentrations built-in to their four-year plans. See Undergraduate Programs for more information.
No. The Stockton Teacher Education Program is a certification program that prepares candidates to teach a wide range of subjects in grades K-12. Students interested in education must first major in any liberal arts & sciences degree program with a Concentration in Education. The Stockton Teacher Education Program is a state accredited program that follows the guidelines set forth by NJAC 6A:9-10.4. Students complete certification requirements either in conjunction with or following the completion of a first bachelor’s degree in any of the liberal arts & sciences.
Stockton offers programs leading to elementary teacher certification [K-6] with middle school specializations [6-8] and secondary teacher certifications for subjects taught in grades K-12. Each middle school specialization requires a minimum of fifteen credits in the subject area that covers multiple content standards. Choices for middle school specializations include: mathematics, science, language arts, social studies, and Spanish. Choices for secondary certifications include: art, biological science, chemistry, earth science, music, physical science, physics, mathematics, English, social studies, and world languages. See Undergraduate Programs for more information.
A good choice is always an academic subject typically taught in a K-12 setting; areas would include history, science, math, language arts literacy, world language, etc. Prospective elementary teachers may also select psychology, sociology or liberal studies. See Undergraduate Programs for more information.
Yes. An incoming freshman Stockton student who follows solid precepting advice from the Education faculty and staff along with the first major preceptor can complete certification in conjunction with most liberal arts & sciences degree programs. Keep in mind that some majors are particularly intensive, and may require that students take the maximum number of credits per term (20) in order to complete these programs within four years (or eight semesters). If remedial or repeat course work is required, degree completion may take longer. 

You always have access to an advisor in the School of Education. After a student expresses interest in the Program a staff advisor is assigned to assist that student. History, Liberal Studies, Literature, Math and Psychology candidates with an Education concentration and anyone who has enrolled in the Gateway to the New Jersey Teaching Profession (EDUC 3000) will be assigned to an Education faculty preceptor. Preceptors are full-time professors in the School of Education. It is crucial for any student working on any first degree other than Liberal Studies to also have a preceptor in that content or professional area.

Please know that the School of Education Office (J-201) is always open for questions relating to teacher training and licensure. (609) 652-4688 

The TEACH Grant is a federal program that provides up to $4,000 each year for individuals that agree to teach in a high need elementary or secondary school, or educational services agency for 4 years after graduating. The summary of the federal loan forgiveness and cancellation programs provides an overview of all relevant information. If you need further assistance, email

Information Session

Attending an Information Session at Open House can be the first step for students seeking teacher certification at Stockton. Students receive information, guidance, and certification planning worksheets. These sessions are open to all Stockton students and the general public. Students can also stop in at J-201, email or call 609-652-4688.

Yes, we encourage all students who might be interested in our Program to attend a session or to come into the office as early in their college career as possible. High school seniors are also welcome to attend or seek information in the Education office.

All transfer courses officially accepted by Stockton will be considered by the School of Education. Any course used to satisfy a requirement in the Teacher Education sequence must be approved by an Education advisor and/or our Program Chair, Dr. Norma Boakes.

Teacher Education Program Overview &  Entrance Requirements
Blackboard site & Mandatory Orientation

You are automatically enrolled in the TEDU Program Blackboard site once you officially are accepted and complete our orientation/registration process with Stockton University. If you are registered for courses but don’t see the site, you can email to get enrolled.

The TEDU Program Blackboard site provides you with an overview of the Teacher Education Program and details on all of the requirements for entry into the professional education courses. You should access and use this resource as soon as you are registered to take courses at Stockton.

Yes, as of Fall 2022 all incoming first-year students, students with less than 32 credits as well as transfer students should plan to attend. Meetings typically take place a week before Stockton’s preceptorial advising dates and the Friday after the final preceptorial advising date each semester. Go here for more information.

We offer two meetings each semester. We strongly advise you to attend one in your first semester at Stockton University. You do not need to formally sign up. We record your attendance by taking attendense in our overview meeting. To get the dates and times go here. Meetings typically take place a week before Stockton’s preceptorial advising dates and the Friday after the final preceptorial advising date each semester.

The School of Education has phased out the Gateway semester and Gateway to the NJ Teaching Profession course (EDUC 2000). The course will no longer be offered as of Fall 2023. Instead, each student will be enrolled in the Blackboard Course Teacher Education Program Overview &  Entrance Requirements.

ETS/Praxis Testing

Stockton is an official electronic testing site for ETS/ Praxis Core/ Praxis II testing. Stockton will be opening the testing center during the COVID-19 crises on a limited basis.  To make sure that you are able to meet your deadlines, please schedule the Praxis-at-home test.

Click here for the ETS/Praxis FAQ

Flexibilty Rule:

Criminal Background Check

To be placed for fieldwork in the Education sequence (Clinical Experience, Clinical Practice I and II, and Final Clinical Practice), you MUST complete a Criminal Background Check or have your Substitute Teaching Certificate several months in advance of the semester. After you have been fingerprinted, you must follow up with the State of NJ one to two weeks later to print out your Clearance Certificate. 

You can print it here: How to print your Clearance letter. Please bring this letter to the School of Education office or scan it to 

This process can take 3 - 6 weeks to complete and is needed to obtain the needed permits for the course.  So start early.

How to complete the background check Only (about $77: $11 + $66) 

Archiving your fingerprints

How to obtain a Substitute Teaching Certificate

You can print it here: How to print your Clearance letter. Please upload a PDF of this letter to the Blackboard module or email it It will take a few days for us to attach it to Degree Works.

We will offer workshops to guide you through the application. 

Substitute Teaching 

Start your substitute certification here with a clearanace letter that is not older than 5 month.

TB (Mantoux) Test

TB (Mantoux) Test: Submit documentation of a negative TB test on your Blackboard module as a scanned PDF. The test must be taken within two years of you starting your clinical Experience, so timing is imperative. the test may be administered at the Stockton clinic, your physician or another clinic.

NJ State Code Exam (Hygiene Test)

It is a 35 question true or false test about drugs, tobacco, and alcohol which has been developed by the NJ Department of Education. It can be completed in less than 10 minutes in your Blackboard module.  

According to New Jersey Education Code (6A:9-5.9) candidates for instructional certificates shall pass an examination in physiology, hygiene, and substance abuse issues. Stockton requires all teacher candidates to meet this state requirement by passing a health issues exam administered by our office or the county superintendent’s office. Completed coursework in the above topics [or military service] may exempt a student from the health test, but we recommend that you take the short test even if you have the coursework.

The NJ State Code Exame is available on Blackboard. As an Education student, you should see the link to the test on your Degree Works. It's the first entry in the section "Prerequisite for Entry into Professional Education." If you don't see the link, please send an email to to make it visible.

Students may retake the exam until a passing score is attained.  


Professional Requirements

There are several open-enrollment courses required for teacher certification. PR courses are open to all students and do not require Program permission. The PR courses can be taken at any time prior to the certification semester.

New Jersey requires that anyone who teaches in grades 6-8 must have Adolescent Psychology. Therefore, we recommend that students take either Lifespan or Developmental Psychology which includes both child and adolescent psychology.

Stockton has articulation agreements with NJ community colleges. Courses under the above headings will be accepted at Stockton providing that the grade is a C or better except for Educational Psychology which must have a grade of B- or better. After careful transfer review, courses from other colleges besides the ones listed above may also be accepted as equivalent.

 Liberal Studies General Degree

If you need to switch to the Liberal Studies degree without the education component, there are several courses that need to be taken as well as a proposal to be written with 2 faculty advisors. Courses that are needed:

-12 credits at the 3000+ level that are relevant to the theme or focus of your plan/proposal
-One Capstone Course (EDUC 3360)
-GEN 2250 Introduction to General Studies
-GEN 2248 Perspectives on Civic Engagement
-GEN 2240 Introduction to Research

For more detailed information, please read the LIBA Proposal then contact

Clinical Experience (CX)

This semester includes 50 hours of fieldwork with associated assignments. Students have to submit a Fieldwork Application by the deadline to be eligible for this semester. Early Childhood and Elementary track student will also take Literacy Development as a co-requisit in this semester. 

Clinical Practice I (CP I)

This semester is all about pedagogical techniques—models of instruction, lesson design, unit design, lesson presentations, etc. The semester includes 80 hours of fieldwork with associated assignments.

Clinical Practice II (CP II)

Methods courses and fieldwork are centered on actual lessons presented by students in school placement classrooms. This semester includes 100 hours of fieldwork. We recommend that these fieldwork hours will be performed at the same placement as Final Clinical Practice.

No, the three semesters of courses are designed in sequence: Clinical Practice I is a pre-requisite to Clinical Practice II. Clinical Practice II is pre-requisite to Final Clinical Practice (Student Teaching). The semesters must be taken consecutively.

Yes, students must attend preceptorial advising to be registered for the courses, attend a special summer informational meeting scheduled before precepting (see below for information), and have completed the Criminal History Background Check. After you have been fingerprinted, you must follow up with the company to make sure that you receive your criminal background clearance letter from the state of NJ. **If you are interested in Summer CP I, please be aware that the semester starts a week earlier than on the posted Stockton Academic Calendar.** 

No, the courses are offered as co-requisites. In the event that a student must re-take one of the co-listed courses, the Program Chair has discretion to waive co-requisites from being repeated.

Final Clinical Practice (Student Teaching)

Final Clinical Practice (Student Teaching) is a prospective teacher’s internship, i.e. a full-term experience observing, planning, and teaching in an elementary, middle, or high school setting.  A mentor teacher will be assigned to each student. A student teaching fee is required. Students must earn an A or B grade to be recommended for certification with the NJ Department of Education.  Together with the Final Clinical Practice course you will take the Final Clinical Practice Seminar and the edTPA course.

The Final Clinical Practice (Student Teaching) Seminar is the co-requisite to Final Clinical Practice (Student Teaching) and edTPA; class meetings are bi-weekly. Reflecting and critiquing teaching activities will be emphasized. Topics include classroom management, verifying rationale for instruction and evaluating teaching. Students will develop a professional portfolio and prepare to be a beginning teacher.

We recommend that all courses be completed prior to Final Clinical Practice.

A student teaching supervisor is assigned to each student teacher. Student teaching problems are first discussed with the student teaching supervisor.

If you plan to student teach in the Fall:  You will apply for Student Teaching together with your CP II application on October 1st the year before. All requirements are due then, inlcuding Praxis II. 

If you plan to student teach in the SpringYou will apply for Student Teaching together with your CP II application on April 1st the year before. All requirements are due then, inlcuding Praxis II. 

Teacher Preparation Assessment (TPA)

TPA is an assessment completed during the clinical component of a teacher preparation program (e.g., student teaching) and measures a teaching candidate’s ability to plan and deliver a lesson, evaluate student learning, and reflect on his or her practice.


Upon completion of an approved traditional college teacher education program, the student is recommended for a Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing. The CEAS becomes a Standard Certificate after a novice teacher successfully completes his/her first year of teaching.

A Certificate of Eligibility is issued when a student decides to go through New Jersey’s Alternate Route Program. Contact the School of Education Office for Information regarding the Alternate Route Program.

Alternate Route

The Alternate Route Provisional Teacher Certification Program is sponsored by the New Jersey Department of Education to enable individuals who have not completed a traditional teacher education program to enter into the teaching profession. To be eligible for the ARP, individuals must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility [CE] from the NJDOE. Please review our Alternate Route page for details. 

Stockton has been a proud service provider for the Alternate Route To Teaching in NJ program for over 25 years. This program is a pathway for those who desire to teach in NJ, but have elected not to pursue a traditional teaching certificate.  


Q. What is the Alternate Route Program?
A. Please see the DOE mandated program requirements here.
Q. What is the hotline to the NJDOE Office of Certification?
A. 609-292-2070

Q. Does Stockton offer the Alternate Route in Career and Technical Education (business, vocational, etc.).  Click here to see who does.  

Q. Am I Eligible for the Alternate Route Program?

A. Completing the Alternate Route program requires that the following series of steps be taken by a prospective applicant in the order listed below.  

Step 1. Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) through the Office of Licensure and Academic Credentials (OLC).

Step 2Once you earn your Certificate of Eligibility, apply for and accept employment in a contracted teaching position in a school willing to accept an Alternate Route Candidate. 

Step 3.The candidate then registers for the Alternate Route program directly with a provider of which Stockton University is one. 

Contact me with additional questions.

Michael Hinman, Director of the Alternate Route To Teaching Program

Alternate Route Information

Yes, an individual must pass the Praxis Core and the Praxis II in the area in which he/she plans to teach (elementary or secondary).

NJ Teacher Candidate Basic Skills Requirement

Teach Grant