Office 365 Shared Account
A shared mailbox makes it easy for a group of people to monitor and send email from a public email alias like HelpDesk@stockton.edu. When a person in the group replies to a message sent to the shared mailbox, the email appears to be from the shared address, not from the individual user. You can also use the shared mailbox as a shared team calendar. A shared mailbox is not designed for direct log on but instead access is delegated to mailbox members. If you use the Outlook desktop client to access your University email shared mailboxes that you are a member of are automatically populated by Outlook for you to use. Below you'll find additional information on how to access shared mailboxes through Office 365 and your cell phone along with other tips and tricks that you may find helpful.
To open another user's mailbox in Outlook Web Access:
- Log in to OWA using your own mailbox email address and password.
- Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the window and click Open Another Mailbox.
- In the Open Other Mailbox box, enter the email address of the mailbox that you want to open and click Open. The mailbox will open in a new window.
If the mailbox doesn’t open and you get the following error message instead:
"You do not have permission to open this mailbox. Contact technical support for your organization for access or for more information."
then you need to make sure that you were granted full access to that mailbox.
Please double-check the permissions granted by going to HostPilot > Services > Exchange Mailboxes. Click the display name of the shared mailbox to open settings. On the Exchange Server tab, click 'Full access & Send As' to view the list of permissions.
Use the Shared Calendar
One of the great things about using a shared mailbox is that anyone who has access to the shared mailbox also has full access to the calendar. You can create, edit, and delete events in the calendar. Use the shared calendar just as you would use your own calendar. Here's a short list of things you can do with the shared mailbox calendar:
Let your team know when you're going on vacation or when you’ll be out of the office.
Create a team meeting.
Edit a calendar event that someone else created.
Cancel a meeting that someone else created.
To access the shared calendar, do the following:
Sign in to your mailbox using Outlook on the web, and then select Calendar.
Right-click Other Calendars, and then click Open calendar.
In From directory, search for the shared calendar you want to open. Select the shared mailbox you want to open, and then click Open.
The shared calendar displays in your Calendar folder list.
Add the Shared Mailbox so it Displays Under your Primary Mailbox
If you want to monitor the email from your primary mailbox and the shared mailbox at the same time, use this method. After you complete this task, the shared mailbox and its folders are displayed in the left navigation pane each time you open Outlook on the web.
Sign in to your account in Outlook on the web.
Right-click the name of your primary mailbox (such as Molly Dempsey) in the left navigation pane, and then choose Add shared folder.
In the Add shared folder dialog box, type the name or email address of someone who has shared a mailbox with you, and then click Add. Or, type the name of the shared mailbox you are a member of, such as email@example.com.
The shared mailbox displays in your Folder list in Outlook on the web. You can expand or collapse the shared mailbox folders as you can with your primary mailbox. You also can remove the shared mailbox from your Folder list. To remove it, right-click the shared mailbox, and then click Remove shared folder.
As you create a meeting invitation you are able to see whether others are free or busy, but you aren't able to see any other information about their schedule (such as the meeting title, who is invited, or where it's taking place).
But if someone has chosen to share their calendar with you, you'll be able to look at the items in more detail. Depending on the level of access they've granted you, you may also be able to modify items.
To view another person's shared calendar, complete the following steps. Once you've done this, you'll see their calendar listed under My Calendars in the Calendar section of your Navigation Pane every time you use Outlook.
- On the Home tab of the ribbon, in the Manage Calendars section, click Open Calendar, then Open Shared Calendar.
- In the Open a Shared Calendar dialog box, type all or part of the person's name (or their NetID). Select the person
you're looking for then click OK.
In the Navigation Pane, under Shared Calendars you should now see an additional calendar with the person's name.
Sharing your calendar with specific peopleBack to Top
- Click the Calendar icon at the bottom of the main Outlook window.
- On the Home ribbon, in the Share section, click Calendar Permissions.
- On the Calendar Properties dialog box, click the Permissions tab.
- If the person you want to share with is listed, skip down to step 7. If they are not listed, continue with step 5.
- Click Add.
- In the field at the top of the Add Users dialog box, type all or part of the person's first or last name (or their NetID),
then click Go. Accounts that match what you typed will be displayed.
- Click on the person you want to share with, click Add, then click OK. You'll be taken back to the Folder Properties dialog box.
- Click on the person's name, then choose an access level from the Permission Level dropdown list.
What does each role entail?
- Owner - this user will have full read/write access as if they were you. This setting is notrecommended outside of specific use cases.
- Editor - this user may add events to your calendar, create invitations, and edit and remove existing events.
- Nonediting Author - this user may add events to your calendar, but cannot edit or remove existing events.
- Reviewer - this user may see your calendar, but may not make any changes.
- Click OK.
The person you selected will be able to view your calendar by clicking on the "Open Calendar" menu, clicking on "Open Shared Calendar" and entering your e-mail address.
Adding a Shared Mailbox in Outlook for Android & IOS App
1. From inside the Outlook for Android & IOS app start by going into the settings menu and selecting the "add account" button.
2. Select "Add a shared mailbox" from the pop up menu.
3. Select an account to authenticate into the shared account with to continue.
4. Enter the name of the shared mailbox and hit continue.
5. The account will be added to your Outlook app.
To view the account click on the folder/account drawer to swtich between accounts.