Due to recent changes of the U.S. immigration policy and regulation, the Office of Global Engagement suggest our F-1/J-1 international students and visitors minimizing international travels.  All F-1/J-1 visa holders must visit the office prior to traveling outside of the U.S.  Please fill out the Travel Authorization Form and request an I-20/DS-2019 travel endorsement at the Office prior to leaving the U.S. 

Remember, if you travel outside of the U.S. during your grace period (60 days for F-1, 30 days for J-1), you will not be able to re-enter the U.S. under the same visa.

Refer to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: Re-entry FAQ for F-1 students (traveling for five months or less) for more detailed information to make sure you comply with federal laws and regulations before leaving the U.S. 

Required Documents:


  • Valid at least 6 months into the future
  • If your passport is expiring soon, please visit an Embassy or Consulate General of your home country in the U.S. and renew your passport
  • If your have a new passport, make sure to bring your old passport that has the unexpired  F or J visa.

U.S. Visa

  • F or J visa must be valid when re-entering the U.S.
  • F visa holders may re-enter the U.S. even though the visa might have your previous school's name.
  • J visa holders, should only enter or re-enter the U.S. with a visa showing the current school's name/program.

Form I-20 / DS-2019

  • A valid I-20 for F-1 visa holders or DS-2019 for J-1 visa holders
  • A travel endorsement from a Stockton's DSO/(A)RO.  The endorsement is valid for 12 months, or until the end of your program date, whichever reaches first.
  • F-1 students on OPT must have an approved OPT recommendation, a travel endorsement less than 6 months old, a valid EAD and a letter from your employer confirming your employment or an official offer of such employment.

Note for F-1: 

  • If you leave the U.S. with OPT approval, but do not yet have an official job offer, you might not be able to re-enter the U.S.
  • If you exceed the limit of unemployment time while outside the U.S., you will not be eligible to re-enter the U.S. under F-1 status.

I-901 SEVIS Fee payment confirmation

  • It's highly recommended to bring the I-901 payment confirmation with you.  You may reprint your confirmation by visiting:, and select "Check I-901 Status"

Other recommended documents

  • Financial support documents
  • Stockton student ID
  • Enrollment verification letter or transcripts
  • Emergency contact information in the U.S. and school's DSO/(A)RO contact information

If you are traveling only to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean (except Cuba and Bermuda) for the duration of 30 days or less you may return to the U.S. with an expired F/J visa. This process is known as automatic visa revalidation. To qualify you must:

  • Be in lawful status
  • Have a passport valid for at least 6 months into the future
  • Have a valid I-20/DS-2019 in you possession, signed by a DSO/RO within the past 12 months of the date of re-entry
  • Have an unexpired Form I-94
  • Have a J-1 visa (valid or expired) in your passport
  • Only travel for fewer than 30 days. Your re-entry privileges will be automatically revoked if you have entered one of the above mentioned countries, departed to another country, returned back to one of the above mentioned countries, and then attempted to return to the U.S.
  • Not apply for a U.S. visa while in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. If you do apply for a U.S. visa while visiting one of these countries you will have to remain in the country until a visa is issued. If you should be denied a visa by the U.S. Consulate in one these countries you will not be granted a re-entry into the U.S. and will be deported to your home country to apply for a new F/J visa
  • Be a citizen of any country other than Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. If you are a national of any of the above mentioned countries you are not eligible for re-entry on the basis of a 30-day rule and must always have a valid visa in your passport to enter the U.S.