Students who seek services from the Learning Access Program must be registered students with Stockton University. When a student self-discloses their disability to the Learning Access Program, they also need to submit dated documentation that identifies the student's diagnosed disability, functional limitations, and suggested accommodations. The documentation will be reviewed on a case by case basis during a personal intake interview with one of our coordinators. Accommodations are designed to provide equal access for academic success while maintaining the academic standards of the program.
How to Apply
Below are the steps that a student should follow when requesting academic accommodations.
- Students who would like to register with the Learning Access Program should call 609.652.4988
and leave a voicemail or email email@example.com.
- It is recommended that students schedule an intake appointment with a coordinator during registration or one month prior to the start of the semester. The office will be available virtually Monday - Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- Prior to or during the meeting, students who had an IEP or 504 plan in high school should provide copies of the following: Educational Evaluation, Psychological Evaluation, IEP or 504 plan and/or documentation of past evaluations. If the student did not have an IEP or 504 plan in high school, we require that a learning, medical or mental health provider complete the Documentation of Diagnosed Disability Form. Students will be emailed a copy of the intake form in preparation of their intake interview.
- During the meeting, students will discuss their needs with a coordinator to determine reasonable accommodations.
- At the conclusion of the meeting, you will be emailed an accommodation letter, which you will email and discuss with your faculty.
- Accommodations must be renewed every semester to review schedule and discuss syllabi. Although a returning student was registered the prior semester, LAP recommends that students make their appointment for the upcoming semester with the office, during registration or one month prior to the start of the semester. Students should contact the office at 609.652.4988 to schedule an appointment with their coordinator. Students are assigned to a coordinator based on their intended major. At the appointment, the student will be given an updated letter of accommodation. Once a student receives the updated accommodation letter, they should schedule a time with the professor to discuss the accommodations.
Below is the process that students should follow when discussing accommodations with faculty.
- Present the letter of accommodation as soon as possible in an email with any information
you would like to share with your faculty. Students do not have to disclose their
- Students should take the time to introduce themselves to the faculty member via email and attach the letter.
- Accommodation letters are dated. Therefore, accommodations are not retroactive. If a student delays in presenting a letter to their faculty, the faculty member is under no obligation to grant accommodations retroactively.
- While accommodation(s) requests are discussed at the beginning of the semester, students who require exam proctoring accommodations should also remind faculty of the accommodation prior to an exam or test. This courtesy will help ensure that your accommodation request is met.
- Above all, it is the student's responsibility to make accommodation arrangements. Untimely requests or failure to follow established procedures could result in accommodation requests being unable to be met.
Students that have received services from the Learning Access Program in a previous semester will need to renew their request for subsequent terms. In order to renew accommodations, students should complete the steps below. If a student has updated documentation or needs additional accommodations they should schedule an appointment with their coordinator.
- Sign into your goPortal account and click on the Student Life tab.
- From the Student Life tab, go to the Wellness Center Channel and click on the Accommodate Portal link, which will bring you to the Accommodate Portal homepage.
- On the Accommodate Portal homepage click Accommodation.
- On the Accommodation tab, you can review accommodations by clicking Semester Request. This will show you what accommodation had previously been requested, and you will renew those that you wish to have applied to the new semester.You cannot request new accommodations through this tab. If you need additional accommodations, please contact the office to schedule an appointment.
- On the Semester Request tab, you will click Request Accommodations to open up the Accessibility Accommodation Request page. You do not have to enter a start/end date or the semester. This feature is used if you want to review requests from previous semesters.
- On the Accessibility Accommodation Request screen choose the semester you would like to renew accommodations (i.e. spring 2018).
- Once you have chosen the semester, your course schedule will appear on the right hand side. Click Submit For All Accommodations. If you do not need an accommodation you previously had, you may manually remove it by clicking Review the Renewal which allows you to manually choose your renewal accommodations.
- Once you submit you will see the pending request, which will have a red x in the column. Requests are reviewed, and approved requests will have a green checkmark in the Approved Letters of Accommodation will be available for pickup at the start of the new semester.