Social and Behavioral Sciences
Welcome to the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SOBL). We are home to baccalaureate programs in Criminal Justice, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work and Sociology/Anthropology. We also have accredited Master’s programs in Criminal Justice and Social Work, and interdisciplinary minors in Behavioral Neuroscience, Childhood Studies, Gerontology, and Victimology and Victim Services.
We study different aspects of human behavior and relationships, at individual, societal, and cultural levels. We examine human dynamics to better understand each other, and how we interact with our families, communities, and environments.
Here are just a few of the many relevant and cutting-edge emphases our students are experiencing:
- Forensic investigation in Criminal Justice.
- Hands-on experience with the Philadelphia Federal Reserve through Economics.
- Preparing for and assisting a growing population of older adults through Gerontology.
- Helping local government and the community with energy audits and sustainability projects through Political Science.
- Measuring brain activity through state-of-the-art electroencephalography (EEG) equipment in our Psychology lab.
- Becoming first-rate practitioners in child welfare through our leading Social Work program.
- Learning how to write grants for nonprofit agencies through Sociology/Anthropology.