Stockton Basketball Coach Gerry Matthews' 600th Win Makes N.J. History
Stockton University head coach Gerry Matthews collected his 600th career victory with
a 76-56 triumph over Kean University (4-18, 4-12 NJAC) on February 13, 2016. Matthews
became just the 16th coach in Division III history and sixth active coach to reach
600 wins, making him the winningest coach in New Jersey men's college basketball history.
In 30 seasons on the Stockton bench, he has won eight NJAC championships and been voted NJAC Coach of the Year nine times. Matthews has led Stockton to 15 NCAA Tournament berths and two trips to the Final Four (1987, 2009). During his three decades at Stockton, his teams have never had a losing season.
In his 600th winning game, the Ospreys (18-6, 13-4 NJAC) forced 24 turnovers that led to 33 points in the game. Stockton shot 50 percent (12-24) in the first half and methodically pulled out to a 34-24 halftime advantage. The Ospreys jumped out quickly, forging ahead 15-2 in the first 6:12 of the half. Marcus Harmon of Middle Township in Cape May County, N.J. nailed two three-pointers during the run, on his way to 10 first-half points.
Stockton stretched the advantage to as many as 16 points at 34-18 on a three-pointer by Kashaun Barnes (Toms River/Manchester Twp.) before the Cougars scored six points in the last 2:31 of the first stanza to cut the lead to 34-24 at the break.
The second half followed a similar pattern as Stockton gradually pulled away. The margin reached 28 (69-41) on a three-pointer by Jaymere Hadden of Millville, N.J. with 4:46 left before both teams cleared the benches to finish out the contest and give Matthews his 600th win at 76-56.
Matthews Coaching Milestones
- First win: Stockton 66, Ramapo 65 (November 23, 1985)
- 100th win: Stockton 78, Kean 70 (February 17, 1990)
- 200th win: Stockton 59, Kean 50 (February 14, 1996)
- 300th win: Stockton 69, Marywood 46 (November 16, 2001)
- 400th win: Stockton 80, Rutgers-Camden 50 (January 31, 2007)
- 500th win: Stockton 83, North Carolina Wesleyan 60 (January 3, 2012)
- 515th win: Stockton 78, Farmingdale State 58 (November 17, 2012) – NJ state record
- 600th win: Stockton 76, Kean 56 (February 13, 2016)