Join MLK Day of Service Jan. 30
Galloway, N.J. - Stockton University will host its 17th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service community event from 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 30.
More than 25 projects are scheduled. In-person events for Stockton faculty, staff and students will be held at the Galloway and Atlantic City campuses, as well as multiple off-campus sites. There will also be virtual projects for the community.
Projects at the Galloway campus include:
- Making pet beds for the Atlantic County Animal Shelter
- Making care packages for members of the military
- Making seasonal wreaths for residents at Seashore Gardens Living Center
- Organizing the Stockton Food Pantry
- Making craft kits for the Arc of Atlantic County
- Craft projects with Circle K Club for different organizations
Projects at the Atlantic City campus include:
- Beach cleanup with the Surfrider Foundation at 10 and 11:15 a.m.
- Decorating tiles with Mud Girls Studio to deliver to community centers.
Offsite projects include:
- Community Food Bank of NJ in Egg Harbor Township
- ACUA Watershed Cleanup along the bay
- Enlightened Farms growing season preparations in Egg Harbor City
- Forsythe Wildlife Refuge cleanup
- Eastern Service Workers Clothing Drive
- Funny Farm Rescue in Mays Landing
- Build Birding Station at Royal Suites Healthcare and Rehabilitation in Galloway Township.
- South Jersey Horse Rescue in Egg Harbor City
The date was moved this year to give more students the opportunity to participate. The university moved the start of spring semester classes to Jan. 25 as a COVID-19 precaution after the holidays. Some 200 people are expected on site.
Community members and Stockton alumni are also welcome to participate in one of the virtual service projects from 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Jan. 30.
Virtual projects include:
- Preparing materials for the online Stockton naturalization class
- Writing thank-you letters to workers at AtlantiCare
- Writing letters to veterans at the Wilmington VA Medical Center Nursing Home
- Reading to children and doing virtual art and science projects with children at the New Day Family Success Center
- Creating social media posts for the Stories of Atlantic City project
- Sign language awareness session and creating digital posters for the Stockton campus
- Collaborating with Absegami Interact Club on its virtual projects and college talk Q&A panel.
- Collaborating with the Brooklyn Art Library on its Sketch Book Project.
More information on the event and how to register for a project, are on the website. www.stockton.edu/MLKday.
# # #
Director of News and Media Relations
Galloway, N.J. 08205