Stockton University Changebuilders Program
Through a partnership with New Jersey Campus Compact, Stockton University is committed to dramatically increasing opportunities for college students to demonstrate excellence while engaging with issue-driven projects in the local community. Changebuilders, simply, make a measurable difference in their community. The goal is to develop a culture of young, socially responsible graduates with the skills to succeed in achieving their own work-life goals and in their efforts to be part of change for the better.
There are five goals to the Changebuilders Program at Stockton:
1. Develop service-learning and civic engagement project opporunities throughout students' educational experience. This will support in deepening the knowledge of and commitment to local community issues, including students who intend to transfer from community colleges to 4-year institutions.
2. Increase employability by developing 21st century workplace skills. This will come through high quality service-learning and civic engagement sequences of experiences and through career path mentoring. THese local experiences will also contribute to the civic minded graduates staying in New Jersey upon graduation and supporting the economy.
3. Increase student retention by offering a greater ranger of service-learning and civic engagement experiences and partnerships with both 2-year and 4-year institutions. Research shows that students who are involved and who have clear pathways to their next educational institution are more likely to finish on time and find employment post graduation.
4. Significantly increase overall college student participation in service-learning and civic engagement. New Jersey is focused on growing a culture of civically minded professionals, focused on addressing pressing local community issues. That starts with building critical thinking, problem solving and agency within the generations of future leaders.
5. Ensure that a significant number of nonprofits and community service agencies increase their capacity. Local nonprofit, government agencies and community movements focus on developing and delivering impactful services and programs for populations struggling at the margins of society. Changebuilders will focus on organizations that support college access and success, educational equality, access to healthy lifestyle options, alcohol and substance abuse reduction, and neighborhood safety.
I'm interested in becoming a Changebuilder at Stockton. What should I do?
Contact Veronica Rowland at email@example.com or call 609.652.4256 for more information.
Additional information refer to the state website: https://www.engagednj.org/changebuilders