Vessels and Field Equipment
Stockton’s research vessel (R/V) fleet includes five workboats ranging in size from 16-36'. Each vessel provides a platform geared toward specific teaching and research activities. Faculty and staff utilize these vessels as platforms from which to conduct their marine research and teaching activities. All vessels are maintained to standards set forth by the USCG and are designated as Oceanographic Research Vessels.
Stockton works collaboratively with visiting scientists and educational institutions through mutual agreement arrangements. If you have research or educational support needs in our areas please contact the Marine Field Station Manager.
The 36' x 14' R/V Petrel was built in 2015 (SW Boatworks, Lamoine, ME and Jersey Cape Yachts, Lower Bank, NJ) to meet Stockton's expanding needs in the coastal sciences, including offshore bottom mapping, ROV video observations, increased oceanography fieldwork and scientific diving. The Petrel provides a much larger platform for both teaching and research and is used extensively throughout the courses in river, bay and ocean environments.
The 24' x 8' R/V Osprey (Glass Boat Works, Exmore, VA) is named after the school's mascot - a coastal bird of prey and symbol of strength and agility in the coastal environment. This vessel provides an excellent platform for research and teaching activities throughout the river and bay systems.
The Osprey maintains the relatively shallow draft required of research in the estuary and is also capable of some limited near-shore oceanographic work. The Osprey has a davit-winch system used to deploy bottom grabs, coring devices and water quality instruments.
The R/V Zostera is perfect for shallow water estuarine work as well as for trailering to freshwater lakes and the upper reaches of tidal freshwater rivers.
The R/V Zostera is available to faculty and students requiring small boat access to specific areas. It is stored on a trailer at the Field Station and is available with a handheld GPS unit, safety equipment and oars.
Research vessels Scoter and Skimmer hail from our original fleet of 21' x 8' Privateers (Belhaven, NC) and are used extensively in to transport students to sampling sites throughout the coastal bays. These boats provide faculty and staff the ability to navigate shoal waters, accessing our many designated near-shore seining and marsh sites.
Field Sampling Equipment
The Marine Field Station is responsible for housing and maintaining the majority of Stockton's coastal field sampling equipment. The hands-on teaching approach that exemplifies the science programs at Stockton offers considerable opportunities for students to become well trained on the use of standard and advanced equipment and instruments. This training provides our students with practical experience that, when coupled with a strong academic foundation, places them into competitive ranks for securing post-graduate positions or seeking advanced degrees.
- Assorted plankton nets: 49 - 500 um
- 16' and 25' otter trawls
- Large and small seine nets (10' - 100' beach seines)
- Oyster dredges
- YSI 650/600XL: conductivity, temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen, depth
- YSI 6920: conductivity, temperature, pH/ORP, turbidity, NH4 and NO3
- YSI 6600 and EXO: conductivity, temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen, turbidity, depth: used for long-term monitoring efforts
- YSI Castaway CTD
- Refractometers and Secchi Disks
- Van Doorn water sample bottles
- Niskin samplers: 1L-5L
- Large Ponar
- Wildco Corer
- Stacking Sieves
- Box Sieves
- RTK GPS navigation on R/V's
- Klein 3900 Side Scan Sonar
- Edgetech 6205 multibeam sonar
- Marine Magnetics Explorer magnetometer
- ADCPs: Teledyne River Pro and Sentinel V
- Seabotix LBV300 Remotely Operated Vehicle
- NSF funded, DBI - 0959426
- 32 Workstations
- Dissecting and compound microscopes
- Video Microscope system with Image Capture
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometer
- Spectronic 20D Spectrophotometers
- Ro-Tap Sieve Shaker
- Drying ovens and furnaces
- Assorted holding tanks: 20-600 gallons
- Flow-through system capability
- Filtration Systems including heaters and UV sterilizers