Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitoring - Getting Started
While the Respondus Lockdown Browser is a powerful tool for limiting access to online
resources during tests, it does require a small amount of preparation to ensure a
smooth experience for both instructors and students. Check out these quick tips to
get started with the LockDown Browser and prepare your students.
To run the LockDown Browser, students must be working on one of these three platforms:
- Windows - e.g. PC Desktop, Laptop
- MacOS - e.g. Apple Macbook, iMac
The LockDown Browser is not compatible with Chromebooks, iPhones, or Android phones.
Students should access the test using a reliable high-speed internet connection.
To enable the LockDown Browser on an existing deployed Blackboard test, follow these steps:
- Navigate to your Blackboard course.
- In the left-hand navigation menu, click on Course Tools, then Respondus LockDown Browser.
- You'll be brought to a welcome screen - if this is your first time using the LockDown Browser tool, follow the steps on the "Getting Started" tab first - click on the "contiue to lockdown browser" button to view the main tool page.
- Find the test you'd like to enable the LockDown browser for and click on the downwards-facing arrow adjacent to the title and click
- When asked if the test should require the LockDown browser, choose the "require" option, and you'll be presented several customizations.
Change any settings you'd like, then click the "Save+Close" button. You may also enable
Respondus Monitor from this menu; for more information about Respondus Monitor, click here.
The LockDown Browser is not distributed publicly, in order to access the browser instructors must share a download link with their students either in an e-mail or included in their syllabus. To find the personalized download link, navigate to the Respondus LockDown Browser course tool, then open Step 2 within the Getting Started tab. A template message is provided that you can copy and paste to send to your students, this message includes links to instructional resources as well as the download link for the LockDown Browser.
This download is unique to Stockton University, and can be used across all Stockton courses. If a student has already installed the browser from another institution, they will still need to download Stockton's LockDown Browser.
Check out the folllowing resources for training on how to implement the LockDown Browser:
To ensure your first test using the LockDown Browser runs smoothly, have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser. Ideally, have students use the same computers they'll later use with the graded quizzes, on their normal network/Wi-Fi environment. Leave the practice quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can access it again if they need to test a different computer or Wi-Fi network.
The Respondus Lockdown Browser is available in all computer labs across the Galloway and Atlantic City campuses. However, these are a few quiet study areas which may provide a better test-taking environment:
- Lakeside Lodge
- AC Residential Lab
To check if a lab is available, visit Lab Finder.