Alice McEnerney Cook
For over thirty years my main focus has been plein-aire painting of the coastal wetlands of United States from Maine to Florida and west to the California coast. This series is about presenting the fragile ribbon of green that hugs both the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts. These marshes are nestled just behind the protection of the barrier islands and within the tidal estuaries. In some places just a pocket marsh remains; in others the ribbon is miles wide. This landscape, the tidal wetlands, is where, the scientist and writer, Rachel Carson described “the drama of life played its first scene on earth and perhaps even its prelude, where the forces of evolution are at work today, as they were since the appearance of what we know as life.” The coastal marshes are truly nature’s nursery, the birthplace for innumerable species including our own.
100 plus Group Exhibits including and MT Burton Gallery New Jersey State Museum, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Noyes Museum, Woodmere Museum, The Masur Museum of Art, The Philadelphia Sketch Club, Barrier Islands Center and Museum, Long Beach Island Foundation for Arts and Science, The Gallery of American Crafts, Delaware Center for Contemporary Arts, Farnsworth Art Museum, and Huntsville Museum of Art.
10 Solo Exhibits including MT Burton Gallery, Forsythe in Art Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, Barrier Islands Center and Museum, Stockton University, American Littoral Society, Wetlands Institute, New Jersey Museum of Boating, Ocean City Art Center, Watermark Gallery, and Tyme Gallery
- Stockton University Drawing and 2D Design Instructor
- University of Virginia Art Science Workshop Instructor Drawing and Painting
- Hammonton High School Fine Arts Teacher
- Friends Select School Fine Arts Teacher, Department Chair
- M.T. Burton Gallery, Surf City, NJ
- Artist in Residence, Workshop Anheuser-Busch.Coastal Research Center, UVA
- Coastal and Estuarine Research Federation 2021 Biennial Conference Solo Exhibition
- Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge New Jersey Art Science Initiative Project Solo Exhibit
- Signature Artist, Noyes Museum, NJ