Risk Management

smiling student walking on the Atlantic City boardwalk

Welcome to the Office of Risk Management!

As part of the Division of Administration and Finance, Risk Management oversees the University’s insurance requirements, insurance policies, accident reporting, food safety, and all aspects of safety and risk for the University.

Contact Us

Regina Rosenello, Risk Manager
(609) 626-6079

The Office of Risk Management coordinates all insurance and insurance-related issues for the University. This includes all University insurance policies, Certificate of Insurance review, the Tort Claims Act, and accident reporting.

Stockton University Insurance Requirements

Vendors and contractors performing work or providing services on Stockton University premises must secure and maintain in force, for the term of the contract, liability insurance.  In some circumstances, liability insurance may also be required for work or services performed off premises, which will be evaluated on a per project basis.  Prior to the commencement of work or service on Stockton University premises, the vendor must provide a current Certificate of Insurance meeting the Standard Insurance Requirements. Work or service may not commence until a valid Certificate of Insurance meeting these requirements has been provided. The vendor is not authorized to begin work until the University is in receipt of said Certificate.

Tort Claims Act

Stockton University is a New Jersey public entity. As such, with noted exceptions, Stockton is prohibited from providing indemnification. Additionally, Stockton is subject to all of the provisions of the New Jersey Tort Claims Act (N.J.S.A. 59:1-1 et seq.), the New Jersey Contractual Liability Act (N.J.S.A. 59:13-1 et seq.), and the availability of appropriations.

The State of New Jersey does not carry public liability insurance; however, the liability of the State and the obligation of the State to be responsible for tort claims against its employees is covered under the terms and provisions of the New Jersey Tort Claims Act. The Act also creates a fund and provides for payment of claims under the Act against the State of New Jersey or against its employees for which the State is obligated to indemnify against tort claims, which arise out of the performance of their duties.

Claims against the State of New Jersey or its employees should be referred to the State of New Jersey, Bureau of Risk Management, PO Box 620, Trenton, NJ 08625.

The State of New Jersey is self-insured for Workers’ Compensation pursuant to N.J.S.A. 34:15, and employers’ liability is covered by the New Jersey Tort Claims Act (N.J.S.A. 59:1-1 et seq). All such matters are managed by the State of New Jersey, Division of Risk Management. Stockton University, as a component unit of the State of New Jersey, is covered accordingly.

Similarly, automobile liability is also covered by the State of New Jersey’s self-funded auto liability program and the New Jersey Tort Claims Act (N.J.S.A. 59:1-1 et seq). This program is managed by the State of New Jersey, Division of Risk Management, Auto Liability Unit.

Stockton University Insurance Policies

In addition to the protections offered by the Tort Claims Act, Stockton University maintains various insurance policies to protect University property as well as students, employees, and visitors. For more information about insurance, or if you have any questions about coverage, contact Risk Management.


The Office of Risk Management works in close cooperation with Stockton Dining Services to ensure food safety for our students, employees and visitors.

Stockton Dining Services (Chartwells) has right of first refusal for all events on the Galloway campus. Outside food vendors may be used if Chartwells approves, or for events at the Atlantic City Campus, Manahawkin Instructional Site, Kramer Hall in Hammonton, or the Azeez Museum in Woodbine.

When using an outside food vendor, note the following Considerations/Requirements:

  • The event organizer is responsible for communicating necessary event logistics to the external food service provider including but not limited to parking, drop-off, and pick-up logistics.
  • The external food service provider will not have access to University equipment or kitchen facilities.
  • All event organizers assume the responsibility that all food will be properly prepped, stored, served, and disposed of in accordance with local Department of Health Code standards. (It is important to ensure cold foods remain cold, hot foods stay hot, and to avoid cross-contamination of ingredients and perishable items.) Violations will be incumbent on the caterer and/or event organizer to satisfy.
  • The external food service provider will make the delivery to ensure proper food safety measures are followed.
  • It is important to ensure cold food items remain at 41 degrees F and below and hot food items remain at 135 degrees F and above.  Food items held between 41 degrees and 135 degrees should be discarded after 4 hours. 
  • The event organizer must submit the documents listed below for consideration. Risk Management will maintain the document repository and will notify the requestor of the status of the external food service provider’s documentation. It is the responsibility of the requestor to obtain outstanding documentation from the external food service provider. All documents must be approved by Risk Management.

    1. Mercantile/Business/Operator’s License
    2. Proof of Satisfactory Sanitary Inspection (Local Board of Health)
    3. Certificate of Insurance (If the vendor will be catering/serving food on campus, the COI must list Stockton University and the State of NJ as additional insureds in compliance with the University Standard Insurance Requirements; $1 million each occurrence and $2 million general aggregate); Worker’s Compensation Insurance in accordance with requirements of state law; Employer’s Liability Insurance for bodily injury by accident in the amount of $500,000 each accident; bodily injury by disease in the amount of $500,000, each employee; bodily injury by disease, $500,000 policy limit
    4. ServSafe Certification (Safety training and certificate program administered by the National Restaurant Association, accredited by the American National Standards Institute and the Conference for Food Protection)

Letter from Risk Management for external food vendors requesting documentation.